Friday, October 7, 2011

Cormier Vampire Hunter D

So for Vampire Hunter D I can't say that I enjoyed it much. Most of the movie was spent wishing it would end. I had never heard of spaghetti westerns before watching this movie and I know little to nothing about vampires, but it was interesting to see the connection between Vampire Hunter D and western movies.

Doris, who lives in a small country town, is a bit of a typical damsel-in-distress who gets bitten by a 10,000 year old vampire who is bored with his life. Then D, the mysterious vampiel who's the biological son of Dracula, comes to help her. And of course they fall in love. But I thought it was so strange that D just rode away at the end and Doris just waved back at him. Did they totally forget that they were in love?

A semi-interesting character was Lamika, another vampiel who believed she had noble blood. I wish it was stressed more in the movie about the vampires' ancestry and the tainting of their family line. But overall I think that Vampire Hunter D is like a western and supernatural (sort of) at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Bun!
    I definitely agree with what you're saying. I could not wait for the credits to roll. I could just feel that nothing was going to move forward and so i just gave up like 1/4 of the way in there.
    Good point there, why did D leave if he was in love with the chick? it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. one would think after that random and obscenely awkward hug they had they would share a moment and live forever in the prairie.
    And the Lamika girl....she HAD potential....well..the whole movie had potential but it was all pretty much flushed down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete