Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cormier Ah! My Goddess

So this week we watched Ah! My Goddess.  After becoming extremely frustrated with the streaming, I went to YouTube, where, luckily, there was a subtitled version of the movie. But I actually really enjoyed it. It’s obvious that it’s a shojo, or an anime targeted to girls, but I found it to be really cute. I also liked the romance too. Compared to the other anime we’ve watched, such as Vampire Hunter D, where the romance was just corny and cliché’d, or Ninja Scroll, where it was just awkward and even humorous at some points, Keiichi and Belldandy make an adorable and believable couple. It’s just straight up adorable when they walk through the judgment gate together. I wonder if it’s weird that I enjoyed the romance twists in the movie. From Belldandy and Keiichi to Belldandy and Celestin to Keiichi and Morgan. I just enjoyed it all, haha.

Ah! My Goddess also has the theme of powerful women again. The main roles in the movie, other than Keiichi and Celestin, are female. It’s also interesting because Celestin, one of the few male characters, is also the villain. But like Lady Eboshi in Princess Mononoke, it’s unclear whether or not he’s really the bad guy. He, also like Lady Eboshi, desires a utopia free from suffering. So he intends to destroy the world and begin with a fresh start. Morgan, the fairy princess’s, allegiance is also unclear. Even though she can also be considered a villain, she only wanted to love again. And she even went after Keiichi, so I was kind of like, “Whoa.”

But overall, A!MG was good. I liked it.

Belldandy!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree that the coupling in this film was highly believable and just makes you go “D’aww” at all the cute moments. It is quite obvious that it’s of the shojo genre but that’s not really a bad aspect. Though I’m sure the girls in anime class enjoyed it more than the guys and we may hear much chagrin regarding what men may have to say about the film in comparison to all the other anime we watched this semester. I think it’s a cute movie that teaches a real lesson about trust and love in a relationship. Despite Belldandy’s supernatural powers, she and Keiichi seem to be a good couple to use as role models. I also love the fact that Keiichi is not bother by the power Belldandy has over him, it makes the relationship all the more adorable. I really enjoyed this film and plan on watching the anime series to get a better backstory on it.

    ReplyDelete